Holiday Mug Rugs!
These simply sweet mug rugs are just the perfect size for a cup of cocoa and a cookie or two. Or picture one with a glass of milk and special treat waiting to nourish that man in the red suit as he makes his rounds on Christmas Eve! They stitch up quickly and make great gifts, too.
This is an in the hoop project that works up quickly with very little “fussy” work. After the embroidery and trimming, all that is left to do is to close the turning opening by hand or fuse it closed.
Classes will be held at Amelia’s Fabric and Yarn Shop on Tuesday, October 16 from 1:00 to 4:00 pm or Thursday, October 18 from 5:30 to 8:30. Call today to sign up!
Supplies need for the class: (for one mug rug)
• Embroidery machine and unit with cords
• Design loaded in your machine or on a flash (USB) stick
• Printouts of your instructions
• 5 x 7 embroidery hoop
• 1 hooping of a light or medium tear away stabilizer
• 1 piece of Steam a Seam or Heat and Bond light that measures ½” x 4” (optional)
• Threads for the design
• Bobbin loaded with embroidery weight bobbin thread
• Blue painters tape
• Fabric cutting scissors
• Temporary spray adhesive
• Small sharp scissors for trimming appliqué
• Mini iron and ironing surface (a folded hand towel) – (optional but helpful)
• Two pieces of main fabric cut 6 ½” x 8 ½” for background and backing
• Two pieces of contrasting fabric cut 2” x 8 ½”for the top and bottom strips
• One piece of thin batting (Warm and Natural) cut 3 ½” x 7”
• One scrap of fabric for each appliqué (flour sack, mug, mitten, cookie jar) cut 4” square.
I apologize for the late notice this time, but fear not. All the supplies (fabrics and batting) are available for purchase that day at Amelia’s.
We will have time during club to complete at least one mug rug.
Here is the link for the design I used:
Hope to see you in class at Amelia's Fabric and Yarn Shoppe for some easy fun and stitching.