Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"Seamly Stitching" - Part 3


Seamly Stitching - Part 3 

Welcome to Hand Embroidery 101 - The Embroidery Sampler!!!

Once a month, on the second Tuesday, I will be posting Hand Embroidery Stitches in a 12-part series for my local Quilt Guild.  We're just regular people with the desire to bring the skill into our personal repertoire!  A dozen or so of us decided that we all wanted to learn the basics of Hand Embroidery so I volunteered to "Lead the Pack" so to speak.  :-)  Here comes Part 3 with more stitches.

CHAIN STITCH, SATIN STITCH & LONG AND SHORT FILL VARIATION

If you are just starting with this series, previous parts can be found on the “Quilting Revolution Blog”– with clickable video link tutorials (compliments of Mary Corbet) here:

NOTE – It’s important to me to give credit where credit is due.  There are several places that have become a necessary and appreciated resource through this learning process.  I link and reference them often. 
Author Joan Waldman.  A book I picked up at Joann’s with a coupon!  
400+ Embroidery Stitches for Quilts & More (Love to Quilt Series)

1)  Chain Stitch - A decorative sewing stitch in which loops are connected like the links of a chain.

    Here are my Sample Stitches for "Chain Stitch":



2) Satin Stitch - a satin stitch or damask stitch is a series of flat stitches that are used to completely cover a section of the background fabric.


 Here are my Sample Stitches for "Satin Stitch":





I encourage you to “Play” with your stitches as you learn them.   I don’t provide a pattern or an outline to follow because I encourage free-form play either on a Stack N Slash Quilt destined to be a crazy quilt or a Band sampler as described in the first post in this series.


You can also follow Quilting Revolution on FACEBOOK too!  Just click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment