Monday, May 25, 2015

VSM's Adopted Out - Singer 301 Restored

One of my favorite things about restoring old sewing machines is seeing the excitement from the new Mommies (and sometimes Daddies) that adopt them!  

Two of my girls went to a new home today along with a sweet little Singer 221 Featherweight that came in for service!  A Vintage Singer 301 and a Vintage Singer 201!


The stellar Singer 301 Long Bed was my first 301 restore some time ago. I've done several since then and it's one of my most popular models and one of my favorites to brag about!  Amazing machine!   It's been sitting on my shelf for a while waiting for its new owner.   After a year long wait, I decided it was time to look for a different person to adopt it.   Denise, one of my quilting friends, didn't hesitate... SOLD!  LOL  

It was an amazing learning experience.   When I started this fascination with old machines, each new model I acquired became a long experiment.   There was no rush, I wanted to learn.   I experimented with cleaning methods, bought new tools, learned about dremels, screwdrivers, wiring, you name it.  I was that kid that took all of her toys apart.   Drove my mom nuts.   When I got into my 30's, I started to actually put things back together.  (grin)

Here's the auction photo that started this girls journey....


When I saw it in person, it looked even worse.   But I figured, let's see what it goes for, small investment, HUGE learning opportunity.










After 100's of hours of removing every single part, cleaning each one and putting it back together, a beautiful machine emerged.

Singer Model 301A (Long Bed) - Serial # NA213934 Born 1953 Anderson, SC (Start of 301A)

As much as I'd like to give you a documented journey of the 201 in the photo, she left almost as fast as she arrived, LOL   Same new owner!  









No comments:

Post a Comment